If you are a builder, developer, or homeowner intent on getting the most from your new home construction or remodel budget, you need Building An Affordable House. This book gives you the insider techniques used every day by the best homebuilders in the country to save thousands of dollars on the cost of every home they build.
Building An Affordable House will help you:
Add curb appeal on a budget
Cut costs and keep quality
Build savings into blueprints
Learn secrets of reducing material costs
Get subs on board from the get-go
About the author Fernando Pags Ruiz is a builder with nearly 30 years experience designing and building high-quality, affordable homes. He is a regular contributor to Fine Homebuilding magazine and hosts a weekly radio show on home building and maintenance issues.
Table Of Contents
How to Use This Book
1. Money Matters A Hard-Dollar Cost Approach The Affordability Equation Achieving Blueprint Democracy Every House Can Be Built Better Great Expectations
2. Design Building a Better Box Using a Modular Planning Grid Inner Space Lot Basics The Language of Affordability
3. Foundations Concrete Is the Traditional Choice A Soils Test Is a Good Investment Concrete: More than the Basics Do You Really Need a Footing? Consider Alternatives to Conventional Foundations Slab-on-Grade Foundations Are Affordable Sealing Foundation Walls
4. Framing Optimum Value Engineered Framing Building Walls the New Way Prefabrication Is the Future Alternatives to Wood Walls Floor Framing Stairways Girders, Beams, and Posts Installing Subfloors Engineered Floor Systems Framing the Roof Installing Framing Connectors
5. Plumbing: Less May Be Better Smart Layout Cuts Costs Rethinking Supply Lines Choosing Drain, Waste, and Vent Lines Saving with Stainless Steel Gas Tubing Shopping for Fixtures
6. Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning Take an Active Role in Planning Selecting the Right Equipment Sizing Equipment for the House Planning the Network of Ducts Fresh Air Is Important, Too
7. Wiring and Light Fixtures Fine-Tuning the Site Plan Devising a Smart Floor Plan Reducing Lights and Switches Choose Wire Gauge Carefully Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupters Consider Aluminum Wire Recessed Fixtures Save Money
8. Insulation Making the Building Tight Plug the Small Gaps, Too The Airtight Drywall Approach Choosing the Right Insulation
9. Windows, Doors, Driveways, and Walks Pitched Roofs Are Better For Siding, No Maintenance Is Best Economizing with Doors and Windows For Walks and Driveways, Skip the Concrete
10. Interior Finish Design One Detail at a Time Making the Most of Drywall Choose Paint Carefully Installing Interior Trim and Millwork Saving in the Kitchen Flooring Makes a First Impression
How to use this book
If you want to know everything about using a high-value, low-cost approach to home building and remodeling, read this book from cover to cover. Or, if you prefer, skip around and read only the sections that apply to your specific project. Read the first two chapters thoroughly, because they provide an overview of the opportunities available for taking charge of construction expenses. The succeeding six chapters detail how its done, trade by trade, and chapters nine and ten cover finishing details on the exterior and interior of your home.
The approach described here does not require sweat equity, purchasing schemes, or unproven technologies. Its a hard-dollar-cost, hard-nosed approach to saving money through knowledge. This is a book about empowerment that gives you the information you need to control every expense. If your home-building or remodeling contractor hasnt read this book, its going to cost you thousands. One excellent way to save money is to have each trade read their corresponding chapter and then apply what theyve learned to your home. I use every technique in this book, and Ive never met a builder who could build better for less. Except, that is, until you.
Live chat is available. You may also reach us Monday thru Friday at 1-866-325-2495 from M-F 9am-9pm ET and Sat 9am-7pm ET.
For International support, please call 1-515-247-2990.
Be in the Know
*Free shipping applies to the contiguous United States. Free shipping will not be applied to purchases being shipped to U.S. Territories, APO/FPO addresses, Alaska, or Hawaii. Coupon codes cannot be combined with any other offer and are only valid on Taunton Store purchases. Coupon codes are not valid on archive bundles, gift bundles, magazine subscriptions, or prior purchases. Coupon code offers are subject to change at any time.
*SAVE20 cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer is only valid on Taunton Store purchases. Coupon is not valid for online memberships, subscriptions, online classes, bundles, prior purchases, discounted print plans, back issues, summer clearance items, or events. Offer ends 07/31/2020 at 11:59PM ET. The offer is for a limited time and subject to change. Free shipping applies to standard US domestic orders only.