- Product # 071203
- Type Paperback
- ISBN 978-1-60085-009-7
- Published Date 2009
- Dimensions 9 3/16 x 10 7/8
- Pages 240
- Photos 300 photographs
- Drawings and 30 drawings
First you'll be inspired by beautiful outdoor kitchen photos and profiles. Then this unique new guide will help you create your own, with expert advice on everything from floors to shelter tops and stoves to sinks.
Discover firsthand the new meaning of "Let's go out for dinner!"
- Guidance every step of the way for planning an outdoor kitchen ideally suited to your site, style, needs, finances. (Setup, built in, Modest, or forgive the pun - all out. We'll help you make the right choices right from the start.)
- 300 full-color photos show you outdoor kitchens all over the country, from "Italy In Texas" to "Urban Oasis." (See what's cooking in some celebrity chef backyards along the way.)
- Your exciting new options in equipment and materials like task and ambient lighting, outdoor refrigerators, ovens of all sizes, counters to rival the finest indoor models (Remember when outdoor cooking was pretty much limited to Dad's trusty grill and a redwood picnic table? No more!)
- A complete resource list with contact information for designers and suppliers
- Wonderful "extras" to enhance your outdoor living area - portable fireplaces, heaters, even backyard sound systems
"An outdoor kitchen invites you to revel in the pleasures of the natural world." - Deborah Krasner
A one-of-a-kind book with all you need to spark your imagination and fire up plans for your own outdoor kitchen
- Table of Contents
Your Outdoor Kitchen: From Dream to Reality
Artful Desert Living
Home on the Range
The Fire Outside
An Intimate Santa Fe Courtyard Kitchen
Beyond the Grill: Outdoor Appliances, Cabinets, and Counters
The Resort Life at Home
Behind the Screen
Al Fresco Dining with a View
Dining and Entertaining in the Great Outdoors
Italy in Texas
Hidden Courtyard, Poolside Kitchen
Grace Notes: Lighting, Sound Systems, Planting, and Water Features
A Vermont Hillside Transformed
Welcome to the Pleasures of the Outdoor Kitchen
Whether you live in a climate where outdoor living is possible for most of the year, or, as I do, in a place where spring and summer merge into a bare three-month-long window, cooking and dining outside has enormous appeal. Although lean-to "summer kitchens" used to be built outdoors to keep the house cool, these days we all want to cook and live outside for the sheer pleasure of it.
Living outside- and living well- is the reason for this book. The great suburban migration of the mid-20th century produced outdoor kitchens furnished with modest barbecues and wooden picnic tables, but our standards and aspirations have grown into a desire for outdoor kitchens and dining areas that match our homes in quality, style, performance, and attractiveness.
Manufacturers have taken note. These days, the equipment available for outdoor living includes restaurant-level high-BTU gas grills; outdoor refrigerators; sinks of all styles and sizes; task and ambient lighting; stone, tile, and cast-cement counters the equal of their interior kitchen cousins; and ovens up to the job of cooking everything from bread and pizza to a whole pig. Amenities for outdoor social spaces include portable fireplaces and heaters, outdoor furniture that rivals interior models for comfort and visual appeal, garden structures from gazebos to antique barns, and even carpets and sound systems designed for backyard use.
Confronted by all these possibilities, what is a homeowner to do? Where should you begin? How can you start planning, or researching, or even considering a budget? This book will answer all of your questions. We'll show you lots of great dream material and specific details, but we'll also tell you how to get from dream to reality.
We'll also show you lots of equipment choices, as well as offering information on materials and styles for everything from patio and deck flooring to counters and trellises. We'll give you sources for everything in the book, and websites for designers and manufacturers. But most of all, especially in Chapter 1, we'll give you a map for the design process, showing you how to think through a complete plan.
- Video Preview