“Filled with hundreds of creative ideas, tips, and techniques, Erin’s book has something for everyone. Beginners will find what they need to get started with recipes, tools of the trade, and the basics thoroughly explained and paired with gorgeous images by Mark Davidson Photography. More advanced decorators will find inspiration and step-by-step tutorials to create countless designs…”
- The Cake Blog
A beautifully produced compendium that takes the reader step-by-step through the process of creating cakes, both for special occasions like weddings and for, as Gardner puts it, “smaller shindigs.”
- Barbara Coles, New Hampshire Magazine
Yes, you can be a cake-baking superstar! Whether you are a bride on a budget, a mom baking for a birthday, or a cook who needs to control ingredients, Great Cake Decorating has something for you. Author Erin Gardner provides you with a complete guide for making the delicious cake, to fillings, frostings, and, of course, decorative designs that are a whole lot more than the icing on cake!
Decorate like you mean it. An award-winning cake maker, Erin Gardner shares her vast expertise in step-by-step instructions and her unique “make it or fake it” tips. She will show you how to make modern, fresh, fun, bakery-style treats right in your own kitchen. With Great Cake Decorating, you can dress up a plain cake on a moment’s notice – it’s easy with her fruit rollup trick that makes pretty cake flowers in a flash. Or learn professional techniques for molding exquisite flowers and satin-smooth fondant for a grand and gorgeous wedding cake that steals the show!
This complete guide takes the cake. Great Cake Decoratinghas all the ingredients for sweet success, including:
- 20 mouth-watering cake and filling recipes
- 30 beautiful design ideas
- Make it or fake it tips
- Pointers for making cupcakes,
- Expert decorating techniques
- Time-saving shortcuts and more
About the author Erin Gardner worked as a pastry chef in Boston before opening the Wild Orchid Baking Company. A rising star in the cake world, she is an award-winning wedding cake designer and winner of the Food Network’s Sweet Genius award. She lives on the New Hampshire seacoast.
- Additional Information
Table Of Contents Introduction
Part One: Make it Pretty
Chapter 1 Make Cake
- Better Baking Tools, Cake-Making Tools, Piping Tools, Splitting & Filling Cake, Mini Cakes & Cake Pops,
The Crumb Coat, Buttercream Details, Fondant Finish, Doweling & Stacking
Chapter 2 It_—Ès All In the Details
- Adding Color, Flower-Making Tools, Tools for Texture & Shape, Simple Fondant Details, Cake Painting, Gum Paste Flowers
Part Two: Decorate Like You Mean It
Chapter 3 Nature Inspired
- Hills & Bales, By the Sea, Tree Bark & Birds, The Wreath, White on White, Topiary Cakes & Cupcakes
Chapter 4 Graphic Designs
- Stained Glass, Pierrot, Pierrot Cupcake, Sweet Shoppe, Rainbow Hearts, Alphabet Cake
Chapter 5 Floral Creations
- Craft Cake, Flower Bouquet, The Graduate, Ribbon Rose Hobnail, Flower Lattice
Chapter 6 Fabrics, Bows& Buttons
- Vintage Fabric, Victorian Elegance, Toile, Ribbon Loop Cascade, Gentleman_—Ès Cake, Pearls
Chapter 7 Special Occasions
- Monogram Trio, Presents & Pops, Pup Cake, Fiesta Cupcakes, Tattooed Heart, Sweet & Sassy, Stars & Stripes, Tailgate Cake
Part Three: Recipes
Chapter 8 Bake It!
- Vanilla Chiffon Cake, Devil_—Ès Food Cake, Pumpkin Spice Cake, Hazelnut Cake, Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream, Chocolate Ganache, Cream Cheese Frosting, Lemon Curd, Pastry Cream, Peanut Butter Frosting, Salted Caramel, Royal Icing, Marshmallow Fondant
Transporting a Cake
How Much Is Enough?
Intro No ISBN 978-1-62113-760-3 Video No Author Erin Gardner Publication Year 2014 Dimensions 8 x 10 Pages 224 Photo 95 Drawings 20 Other Formats 77647 Cover Paperback Format Paperback
- Product Preview
Write Your Own Review